El Paso County, CO - With the recent discovery of high levels of perfluorinated compounds (PFCs) in groundwater on the United States Air Force Academy, El Paso County Public Health wants to be sure that those living near the Academy and throughout the County have information about those compounds and what to do if residents suspect their well water might be affected.
What are PFCs?
PFCs are a family of human-made chemicals that do not occur naturally in the environment. These compounds are found in firefighting foams, coating additives and surface protection products for carpets and clothing, and other common commercial products. Here are some useful links from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) that will help further understand PFCs:
Anyone with questions for the Air Force, and for water sampling requests, etc., send an email to [email protected] or call (719) 556-8060
While the El Paso County Public Health Laboratory performs water potability testing for private well owners and for community water systems required to meet Colorado Primary Drinking Water Regulations (see info here), it does not test for the perflourinated compounds recently discovered in groundwater at the United States Air Force Academy. Public Health has provided a list below of laboratories able to test water for the PFCs that may have impacted residents near the Air Force Academy.
Anyone with questions for the Air Force, and for water sampling requests, etc, send an email to [email protected] or call (719) 556-8060
People in the area near the Academy who would like to have their well water tested by a private lab can refer to the list below:
- Eurofins TestAmerica, Arvada, CO - (303) 736-0100
- Pace Analytical, Lakewood, CO - (303) 921-8523
- ALS Environmental, Fort Collins, CO - (970) 490-1511
- Orange Co Water District Advanced Water Quality Assurance Lab, Fountain Valley, CA - (714) 378-3347
- BSK Associates, Fresno, CA - (559) 497-2888
- Weck Laboratories, Inc., Industry, CA - (626) 336-2139
- McCampbell Analytical, Inc., Pittsburg, CA - (925) 252-9262
- Edward S. Babcock and Sons, Inc., Riverside, CA - (951) 653-3351
- Test America, West Sacramento, CA - (916) 373-5600
- Regional Water Authority, New Haven, CT - (203) 562-4020
**Inquiries from members of the media, will be handled via email at [email protected]