We focus on improving the health, development, and well-being of individuals from birth to age 21 who have special health care needs. El Paso County Public Health serves residents of El Paso County.
Program Activities Include
- Referrals for medical and developmental services and information
- Coordination of medical and social support services
- Support group and training information
Definition of Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs:
- The Maternal and Child Health Bureau defines the population of children and youth with special health care needs as “those who have, or are at increased risk for having, a chronic physical, developmental, behavioral or emotional condition and who also require health and related services of a type or amount beyond that required by children [and youth] generally” (Maternal and Child Health Bureau, McPherson, et al., 1998).
- This project was supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under grant number B04MC28087, Maternal and Child Health Services. This information or content and conclusions are those of the author and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by HRSA, HHS or the U.S. Government